Friday, September 23, 2011

An ah ha moment

Three weeks ago my mom and I were talking about cake.  I told her that if I had more time I would love to bake more and that I really enjoyed making cakes and working with fondant. I mentioned that some day, in the future I wanted to open a bakery, it had been a goal of mine since I was a kid.  That's when she told me that my sister in law Jenn was starting a "home based" bakery.  Then she said something so simple, I can't believe I didn't think of it myself.  She said, "why don't the two of you start a business together".  DUH! We both like to bake, we are driven, we have been talking about starting business' for years and we hang out weekly.  What a great idea...or was it.  After my mom left Jenn and I talked and decided that we have similar goals and close to the same skill level (Jenn is more skilled than I am at baking...so far ;) So the last three weeks we have been working hard to figure out how to start this thing up.  There are licences and health inspections, we need to register a name and decide what will be on our menu.  So many things to think about.

Last week we drove all over town tasting cupcakes from our competition so far my favorite is still Gigi's cupcakes..I am a huge fan of the frosting.  I had the worse stomach ache that night from tasting 15 different cupcakes from around town including  our own.  Today was even more fun, we got together and made cake balls, Jenn made an incredible ball out of cookies, I cant say much more because it was seriously amazing and you will just have to wait until we roll it out to the public.  Cake balls are harder than I thought they were, and they take a long time, first you have to bake the cake then after it cools and you form the balls they have to set in the fridge then comes the tricky part, I think that I destroyed 5 or 6 of them attempting to dip them in the chocolate...don't worry they didn't go to waist! Even destroyed they tasted amazing.  Tomorrow I am going to make some cake pops and experiment with some different flavors...wish me luck!


Love Kisha

No comments:

Post a Comment